By Kate StokesAUSTRALIA: An asbestos-filled brickwork has been removed from a Queensland street to make way for a new, cleaner and more efficient use of the land.
Residents of the city’s Northgate and Eastwood suburbs were told the brickwork was being removed on Thursday after the NSW government refused to allow its removal, as part of a comprehensive plan to remove asbestos from the surrounding area.
“This is a step in the right direction and a great opportunity for people to get out and walk their dogs in their backyards,” resident Helen D’Amato said.
“It was a very emotional experience for me, as a neighbour, because it was so scary.”
The brickwork had been installed in December 2015 to replace a brickwork that had fallen into the ground.
“We’re really excited to get rid of this brickwork,” NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.
She said the government would continue to work closely with local communities, including residents of Northgate, to remove the brick work and provide services for its removal.
“As we continue to get better at our work with the local community, we will ensure that the bricks are brought back to Australia,” she said.
Topics:health,health-policy,asbestia-5491,liverpool-5606Contact Sarah D’ArcyMore stories from Queensland