A California couple who bought a $200,000, 12-year-old asbestos-treated fireplace in their home says they will never smoke indoors again, but will now face the risk of a health hazard that will eventually kill them.
The couple, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of reprisals, bought the wood-burning stove at a fire-sale sale in Santa Barbara, Calif., in 2014.
They had been using the fire as a fireplace since 2005, but the chimney collapsed when the furnace went down.
The stove is owned by the nonprofit nonprofit organization Environmental Impact Council, which is trying to make it easier for homeowners to buy and use asbestos-free products, and to encourage companies to offer warranties.
The organization has been lobbying for a law to require asbestos-containing products to be made safe by design.
But so far, the legislation hasn’t gotten traction.