A recent study from the University of Minnesota shows that some asbestos insulation from the exterior walls of some apartment buildings has asbestos in it, which the EPA says is a health risk to people with weakened immune systems.
The study, published Monday in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, found that the coating of the insulation, which is often used to make ceilings look more inviting, is highly absorbent.
The EPA said it found that asbestos insulation is more absorbent than the common polyurethane that is used to insulate pipes and electrical cables.
However, it said the coating doesn’t appear to be as effective as a traditional foam insulation, and said that there is no evidence that asbestos in plaster is harmful.
The company that makes the insulation said it is “aware of a few reports” that the insulation was being used in the past, but did not say which ones.
But the EPA has not yet issued a blanket ban on asbestos insulation for apartments.