By Melissa A. Collins”A few months ago, I took a trip to a family-run restaurant in the city of Alexandria, Virginia.
The owners of the restaurant had recently purchased a large asbestos-free roof.
The roof had a gaping hole in the middle, and we could see through the hole a gaping open sewer line.
We took our seat in the restaurant and waited.
When I went to close the restaurant, the owner came to the table, looked around, and said, ‘I don’t want you to take any pictures.
I want you not to take pictures.’
I said, I want to get a picture of this hole in our roof.
He looked at me and said: ‘I’ll take the pictures, but I’m not going to take a picture if you take the picture.’
I thought he was joking, but he was serious.”
That’s the story of how the restaurant owner decided that the photos he took of his family’s asbestos-ridden roof were not only inappropriate, but also an invasion of privacy.
The owner is no stranger to controversy.
In January 2016, he was fined $10,000 for the same violation.
Since then, he has taken to Twitter to criticize President Trump, the federal government, and the federal appeals court that upheld the fines.
In February 2017, he posted a video of himself with a large, thick, black-colored asbestos pad in his hand, and a caption reading, “Just saw a few hours ago that I have an asbestos pad on my roof.
#ASL,” a reference to the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) 2013 Clean Air Act (CAA) rule requiring air pollution to be removed from the roof before it can cause damage.
The pad is coated in a layer of asbestos, but there is no clear evidence that it has caused any problems.
And although the pad is an asbestos product, the insulation material that the pad sits on is not, and therefore there is not a problem with it.
However, the owners of Alexandria’s largest restaurant have been able to use the pads to shield their employees from asbestos smell.
In April 2018, the Alexandria Daily Sun reported that the owners had been using the asbestos pad for over a year and were aware that it was not the “cleanest” method of removing the asbestos.
The owners, who did not respond to multiple requests for comment from ABC News, told the Daily Sun that the smell they were using was “unacceptable” and that they have “never had any issues” with asbestos, according to the report.
But in February 2019, a group of people called the Alexandria Fire Department reported that they were noticing “a noticeable odor coming from the kitchen and from the oven” in addition to the smell coming from “all of the cooking surfaces and the cooking appliances.”
The group said that the fire department had responded to “reports of a smell emanating from the building.”
In response to this news, the restaurant owners and the EPA issued a press release that stated that the EPA has “determined that the odor was caused by a chemical reaction between a solvent used to clean asbestos and the residue left on the floor of the kitchen.”
The EPA is still investigating this particular case, and in May 2019, the Washington Post reported that “a federal judge is expected to rule this month on whether the EPA can force the owners to pay $25,000 in fines for their use of asbestos-containing cleaning products.
The EPA has not said how it will proceed.”
In the meantime, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported that an investigation by the EPA found that the restaurant used “a product with a number of chemicals known to cause cancer” in its kitchen.
The EPA’s report also noted that the “smell was consistent with that of a hazardous substance used to scrub asbestos, and there was evidence that the odors would continue for a considerable period of time.”
It’s important to note that the air in the building was not actually contaminated with asbestos.
The air inside the restaurant was also treated with a solvent, so the odor did not actually occur inside the building.
The restaurant’s owners did not have a cleaning product in their kitchen at the time, and it’s likely that the customers of the nearby restaurant would have had no reason to notice the odor.
But the fact that the people who were responsible for cleaning up the odor could be fined for it suggests that the public is not entirely in agreement with the EPA’s conclusions.
In a June 2019 letter to the EPA, the American Association of Occupational Safety and Health (AAOSHA) called the owners’ actions “outrageous,” saying that “it appears that this owner has not learned a lesson from this situation.”AAOSHAs statement also called on the EPA to consider “immediate action to address this odor-related problem.”
The AAOSHA also pointed out that the owner of the eatery has also been fined before for using asbestos products on the roof of a business in which he worked.
In March 2018, an Alabama man