New Scientist magazine (NS) title ‘Asbestos-laced’ water and air could be a health hazard article New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a ban on all new construction in the city until further notice on Thursday.
Mr de Blasio said that while he supports Mr Trump’s executive order banning construction on federally-protected sites, he believes the current state of affairs in the country is the best for New Yorkers.
“New York City is a city that’s really resilient,” Mr deBlasio said on Thursday, adding that while the construction boom is a positive, it is also an opportunity to reevaluate our relationship with the city’s residents.
“We have to ask ourselves, how are we going to protect New Yorkers from this disease, the toxins that are causing them to suffer?”
Mr de Blasio said.
“It is time to take a hard look at what our city and our state are doing to protect our citizens from this toxic problem.”
Mr deLasio’s order applies to buildings constructed between June 1, 2020 and the end of the year, and to any projects in the immediate future.
Mr Trump has also directed federal agencies to consider using a “precautionary principle” when making such decisions.
Mr DeBlasio’s announcement comes amid mounting concern that the contamination of New York’s waterways could result in more severe illness and death.
The mayor said that his decision was not about politics, but about public health.
“This isn’t a political issue,” Mr De Blasio said.
Mr Cuomo has also said that the city should continue to seek approval from the federal government for new construction on federal sites until such time as the contamination has been resolved.
“I will keep my distance from any efforts by President Trump to impose new restrictions on New York,” Mr Cuomo said on Friday.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo (pictured above) has said that he will not seek re-election in 2018.
The governor is a staunch opponent of Mr Trump, who has proposed banning new construction and has said he would appoint a special prosecutor to investigate his administration’s handling of the Flint water crisis.
The Governor has previously said he will keep his distance from Mr Trump and has vowed to stay out of politics.
In a tweet earlier this week, Mr Cuomo called Mr Trump a “fraud” and said he “will not be President for long”.
Mr de Lasio said that New Yorkers should take the president’s advice, adding “if it is good enough for Donald Trump, it will be good enough to me”.
“I believe that the people of New Yorker deserve better than what we have right now,” he said.